Sunday, August 16, 2009

a little about me...

My husband says I missed my calling in life. He thinks I should have been a meteorologist. I don't think I would go that far, but I am slightly obsessed with The Weather Channel. On any given day during the week I will be able to tell you the chance for rain, what front is moving where, who had the latest severe weather, and how many consecutive days Texas had temps above 100 degrees!! For some reason, it is all just interesting to me. Not to mention the fact that God is the only one who knows when and where it is going to rain. Watching the weather channel used to be just for fun or to check if it was a good pool day. That was until hurricane Katrina happened. I spent hours and hours glued to the t.v. screen watching and waiting. Yes, we live in southeast Louisiana. My parents and sister got 4 feet of water in their houses. My other sister and myself had wind damage but no water. That was a time in my life I don't care to reminisce about right now. Maybe a later post. Anyway, this year has been plugging along just fine. No worries. No hurricanes. No tropical storms. No nothing. I had actually quit turning it to channel 26. That is until yesterday. Yep, I did it. I turned it there because we are headed to the beach next week and I just wanted to see the extended forecast. That is when it happened. The inner-meteorologist kicked in and I can't turn the t.v. off. I can now tell you that for only the 8th time in history we are in august with the first named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season. I can also tell you that watching TS Ana is not important right now because tropical depression #4 turned into TS Claudette in a blink. No one expected it. It came from no where. BAM, all of a sudden there is one fatality (someone who should not have considered swimming in a tropical storm). Ana looks like it is loosing steam, only to be followed by TS Bill that looks pretty nasty. Behind Bill another wave and we're just gettin' started folks! All this the week before our annual family beach trip that I have been counting down the day to. We took a chance this year and opted for going late in the season to get the cheaper fall rate. I'll let you know if it's worth it.

For now I am just going to try to have a good week. Clean my house. Play bunko with the girls. And hopefully get ready for a fabulous beach vacation without standing in front of the t.v. for hours on end watching every inch that these storm travel. Well, I have to be realistic, I will have the weather channel on all week, I am just going to try not to obsess about these storms or let them stress me out. But right now, I am stressed out. AAAAHHHHH! OK, I feel better. Deep breath. And heaven help us all if Jim Cantore packs his bags and heads to Pensacola this week!

3 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I just stumbled upon your blog on the day I am going cold turkey with Diet Coke. I saw back in January that you were quitting....Did it work? Tell me about it. I am only on Day 1 but I plan to go cold turkey for two weeks. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Becky Gray said...

Sara I love that you watch the weather channel! Slidell and Kansas City are far apart but it makes my day when you already know that we have had stormy or tonadic weather and that you are watching over us and worried for us. It makes me feel like you are not so far away!

Shana Putnam said...

Forget the weather channel and just have a great time rain or shine!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin